Saturday, April 11, 2009

NATURE

I think people need nature... and I mean wilderness, not ornately engineered and landscaped gardens or lawns. The complexity of our minds, bodies, and souls resonate with the wilderness. Our soul feels alive when we gaze upon the great mountain ranges, or overlook the Pacific Ocean. No matter how much I love the city, and I do, there is a great peace found among the trees, birds, and insects. I often read the treastie ascribed to Cheif Sealth (Seattle) of the Suquamish Tribe. In it he says "There is no quiet place in the white man's cities. No place to hear the unfurling of leaves in spring, or the rustle of an insect's wings. But perhaps it is because I am a savage and do not understand. The clatter only seems to insult the ears.”

I'm challenging myself to spend more time in nature. Without technology, without the humm of traffic, without the dictate of time and cause. But, simply to listen, observe, and soak in the splendor of creation.

No comments: